Followers

Powered by Blogger.
RSS

[phono-tx] schwa vs. karet in transcription of speech samples

 

Hi, group. I'm starting to question my use of the schwa vs. the karet. I live in Ontario, Canada and took my undergrad linguistics courses here. I learned initially that the karet is used to represent the sound that occurs in 'up' in Canadian English. Later, I learned that the karet is only used in stressed syllables, with the schwa being used in its place in unstressed syllables. But this seems to lead to difficulties with accurately showing a contrast between the two sounds. My understanding is that the Anyschwa represents the vowel in the second syllable of the word 'mallot' and this sound is different to me than the vowel in the second syllable of 'ketchup',  but if a schwa has to be used in unstressed syllables, than both words would look like they have the same vowel in their second syllable.' Does anyone know if this has been discussed at all in the literature or what the appropriate conventions are for this?
 
Thanks,
Sari, SLP

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
POSTS TO THE PHONOLOGICALTHERAPY (phono-tx) LIST ARE PRIVILEGED
Please do not forward, or publish, or distribute in ANY way,
posts to this electronic mailing list without the author's permission in writing.

.

__,_._,___

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment