Followers

Powered by Blogger.
RSS

RE: [phono-tx] Re: all about speech homework

 

There was I thinking I was going to break the record for the longest
(unofficial and official) SLP/SLT clinical career - but you look like strong
competition, Erin!

My SLP *career* started with two foster brothers, Mark (4 when I was 6) and
Forbes (4 when I was 7) who both had unintelligible speech. After a period
of retirement it continued with Charles (15 when I was 14) who stuttered
severely. The fact that Charles was also very handsome seemed to bring out
the therapist in me, involving long 1-to-1 sessions deep in conversation!
Forbes had ICD, and he's the one I tell the fishing story about. I stay in
contact with him and he doesn't object to my telling the story.

Forbes is sitting in a box in the middle of a Western Australian wheat belt
paddock, dangling a line over the side. This is the conversation he has with
my father:

Father: What are you doing Forbes?
Forbes: ih-ee
Father: Are you catching any?
Forbes: Oh ee-oo ih, oh ee-oo ee! ih-ee!

Which being translated is:

Father: What are you doing Forbes?
Forbes: Fishing
Father: Are you catching any?
Forbes: Not real fish, not real sea! Silly!

I can remember thinking that he pronounced *fishing* and *silly*
homophonously, and that was probably my first inkling into the function of
phonology.

Thank you for your thoughts on homework, Erin. Great stuff!

Best wishes,
Caroline

See you in York UK in March 2011?
http://www.speech-language-therapy.com/0cpd.htm
http://www.speech-language-therapy.com/uk_caroline_bowen_9-10-03-2011.pdf
http://www.speech-language-therapy.com/uk_asltip_form.pdf
 
Erin West wrote:
My experience with speech homework was not for me, but for my
younger brother whom I thought had a lisp, but was given 'ch' homework to
work
on...still not sure exactly why, but I digress. I was only around 9 or 10 at
the
time, so I have only vague recollections, but what I do remember is that he
absolutely, completely and utterly HATED it. He hated Speech Rx, he hated
his
therapist and he point blank refused to do homework.
According to my mother this is when I stepped in and started making up games
for
him to practise his words with, as apparently I was the only one who could
get
him to do anything. (For all those reading at home, this was when my mother
decided that I should become a speechie for real- Thanks Mum!).

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
POSTS TO THE PHONOLOGICALTHERAPY (phono-tx) LIST ARE PRIVILEGED
Please do not forward, or publish, or distribute in ANY way,
posts to this electronic mailing list without the author's permission in writing.

.

__,_._,___

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment