Followers

Powered by Blogger.
RSS

[phono-tx] /s/ Question and Resource Recommendations?

 

I am new to this group, and really enjoying everything I'm learning.
What a great resource!!

A little background: I completed my MS in SLP in 2002, but was only
able to work in the field for a few weeks before poor health forced me
to quit my job at a hospital. Since then, I've been home raising my 2
young daughters.

My questions:

1) My daughters (ages 6 1/2 and 3/12) both have slight difficulties
with their /s/ sounds. I think they are placing their tongues out too
far, my youngest especially will stick it all the way between her
teeth. It's fairly mild, and my husband doesn't thing it's a big deal,
but I'm wondering if this will resolve on its own, or if I should
intervene?

2) What resources would you recommend for intervention? I learned alot
about phonological processes in school, and we did alot of
flashcards/games in my internships, but I honestly never learned how
to establish/elicit sounds. I've been reading the different theories
in my "Pocket Guide to Treatment" (Hegde) but still don't know where
to look for specific tips and tricks (how to get them to make the /s/
correctly). Do you have any books, journal articles, websites you'd
recommend?

3) I have friends who are often asking me what they can do at home to
help their children with mild artic difficulties. (Usually /r/).
Apparently the local elementary schools in my state don't always offer
services for mild problems, and some parents don't feel they can
afford private therapy. What do you recommend in these cases?

Thanks so much!

Valerie

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
POSTS TO THE PHONOLOGICALTHERAPY (phono-tx) LIST ARE PRIVILEGED
Please do not forward, or publish, or distribute in ANY way,
posts to this electronic mailing list without the author's permission in writing.

.

__,_._,___

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment